... of heroes

Posted by Roger A. Tetrahart at 03:45

03 August 2005

I'm gonna share a secret about guys. And I'm not even supposed to tell you this.

You know when guys read comics, or watch superheroes (be it in movies or cartoons), they can't help but place themselves in those shoes. "What would it be like? What would they do? When will I have the glory?" You know, that sort of questions. Now, these are not fantasies. These are options.

Right, and you girls wonder why men often act tough, play games that "save the world" and do sports and go to gyms.

But can we really help it? Just look at Spiderman. Almost everyone can relate to him, his school life and love life. Just look at number of things we have in common. There's only one difference between me and Peter Parker. That means I'm only one step to being a superhero!

Yeah, considering all you are short of is a radioactive spider to bite you.

Now, don't go passing on careless judgements on men. (That's my privilege.) And no, I ain't quipping no gender jokes. I'm just gonna say that this phenomenon is a good thing. I mean, isn't it nice to have someone who is strong, dependable, always there for you at the right time when you need them, and always protecting you? That's what superheroes are, and what men strive to achieve.

Maybe it's just a society pressure on how a man should act. Nevertheless, it is still what men want, be it for themselves or for someone. We want to protect what or who we love. We want to be strong. We want to be able to do everything possible for the one we love.

What about our female counterparts? Well, I dun noe. I ain't no women. But don't compare them with others, let alone heroines. Compare us not with heroes too.

0 comments: